To all members who are interested in running for NUSAS Executive Committee, please give us your details here by Monday, 15th August 2011, 23:59. Do not forget to sign up for your interview here as well! The interviews will be conducted during Week 2, Tuesday to Friday, at Central Library Discussion Room 3.
If you are still unsure about what the job entails, do read further!
What is expected of an Exco?
Compared to other societies and clubs, our commitments and workload may seem light, but this applies to only the semester period. In NUSAS, we recognize that the society is responsible for the academic obligations of the exco-members. Semester activity is kept light and the activities stop up to 2 weeks before the reading/preparatory week commences. NUSAS’s main activities are held during the holidays: 1 overseas stargazing trip per semester holiday and a competition for JCs and secondary schools during the first or second week of June. These activities definitely require a certain amount of commitment and passion from the exco-members.
If you are comfortable with such a CCA schedule that gives ample time and space for your studies during semester period, do consider running for exco in NUSAS.
What Exco-positions can I run for?
If you have been exploring the website, you would have noted that other than the President and 2 Vice-President posts, there are 8 other posts available for running. Our exco is roughly divided into two categories.
Firstly, the administrative side :
- Secretary, Asst Secretary: in charge of handling emails, booking of venues, taking minutes, membership allocations, distribution of info.
- Treasurer, Asst Treasurer: regulate club funds, general accounting, IRAS form, collecting of payment from members.
Secondly, the respective heads:
- Research Head: knowledgeable about astronomy facts and theory, able to conduct presentations, write booklets, familiar with stargazing.
- Logistic Head * 2: experienced in handling telescopes, familiar with stargazing, general knowledge of astronomy is useful too.
- Publicity Head: creative and artistic, able to use photoshop or familiar with web design. Usually tasked to design posters and banners.
So technically the administrative side is just like any other CCA?
Yes and no. As an exco member of NUSAS, you will eventually pick up stargazing tips as well as learn how to handle a telescope. There will be sessions/meetings for excos only to allow sufficient time and practice for observation. Also, astronomy-based modules in NUS usually have a stargazing component that requires manpower and equipment from NUSAS, so we do hope that by 1 semester, all exco members will be considered qualified to help out in this aspect. You will be compensated for the time spent according to the standard TA’s rate, courtesy of NUS of course.
Can I run for a sub-comm instead?
Traditionally, sub-comm positions are available for the research and logistic heads. However, in light of the AstroChallenge competition organised by NUSAS in collaboration with NTUAS every June, the AstroChallenge comm is created to meet the event’s tremendous demand for manpower. The comm is open to all members regardless of whether they are in the exco, and you can assume either a logistics or quizmaster position.